Animal Care Technician
Provide animal care and husbandry in compliance with PGI Animal Care and Use Program Description, and in accordance with Animal Welfare regulations, AAALAC International Standard, PHS OLAW Assurance, and NYS DOH. Husbandry of rodents in the vivarium to include providing feed, water, clean cages, identifying sick animals, and notifying research staff according to established standard operating procedures. Maintenance of colony rooms to provide a healthy environment for animals. Receive shipments of animals. Assist with the following programs according to established standard operating procedures: Program of Veterinary Care, sentinel and quarantine programs, environmental monitoring, and pest control. Maintain documentation log sheets as required. Maintain vivarium experimental rooms and support areas as required.
90% of time, Priority A
- Review, comprehend, and comply with all SOPs, IACUC policies, safety, and quality assurance standards related to assigned work area.
- Daily husbandry of the animals in the vivarium to include the provision of feed, water, clean cages, and enrichment.
- Basic sanitation and maintenance of colony rooms to include sweeping and mopping of animal quarters, rotating animal cages, racks and room supplies for cleaning according to schedule, disinfecting all areas in room.
- Monitor the health of the animals and report any sick or dead to the PVC and room lab contact staff.
- Receive and house shipments of animals.
- Bedding sample collection for sentinels.
- Maintain accurate documentation records as required; including room logs.
- Monitor room conditions including temperature, humidity, room and rack airflow, and lighting; with timely reporting of any issues to facilities.
- Maintain adequate PPE, PVC kit, and other common room supplies by monitoring levels, and restocking as required.
- Monitoring of animal health, and perform procedures such as teeth trims, antibiotic treatments, animal handling, euthanasia, and other simple procedures as certified trained and as required.
- Assist with training of new staff as needed.
- Assist with cathether flushes as needed.
10% of time, Priority B
- Participates in animal care staff meetings to discuss workflow and staffing concerns, and contribute ideas regarding efficiency improvements.
- Participates in scheduled training modules for required annual training and refresher training for identified procedures.
- Notifies supervisor of equipment malfunctions or problems in colony rooms in timely manner.
- Notifies supervisor of any non-compliance or animal welfare issues.
- Prepares wet feed diet as required.
- Preparation of live animals or biological samples for shipping.
- Training of new husbandry staff as required.
- Assist in cage wash areas as required.
- Disposes of vivarium waste in accordance with established protocols.
- Performs additional cleaning or duties upon request.
- Communicates information accurately, clearly, and concisely to ensure understanding. Follows established work schedules and communicates well with supervisor, demonstrating respect to management and colleagues.
- Attention to detail mandatory, records information accurately, ability to follow instructions, and work both independently and as a team member.
- Observes carefully in order to respond appropriately, answer questions, or obtains needed information to perform required tasks.
- Cooperates and communicates with all PGI staff in a courteous and professional manner.
- Maintains confidentiality of research study information.
- Demonstrates good judgment, completes assignments in a timely manner, and adjusts well to changes in work schedule, work flow, and priorities.
- Ability to regularly lift up to 50 pounds and move heavy equipment around in a safe manner. Ability to stand, bend, reach, or crouch while working.
Ability to work on weekends and holidays as required to maintain compliance in oversight of animals 24/7.
- Bachelor’s degree
- AALAS certification required within two years of employment at PGI.
- Two years experience in a laboratory animal facility.
To apply for the position please send your resume to Denise.Imbrogno@psychogenics.com
NeuroDegeneration Group - Research Associate
This position is for a Research Associate for the Systems Biology/Neurodegenerative group at PsychoGenics (level of Research Associate commensurate with experience). Primary tasks performed on a daily basis in mice and rats include compound dosing using various routes of administration, behavioral testing, data handling, tissue collection, and stereotaxic surgical techniques would be a plus. The candidate will be directly involved in graphing and analyzing data to better understand occurring trends and to highlight potential phenotypes in various mouse lines. Strong organizational and multitasking skills required. Will review, comprehend and comply with all SOP’s and IACUC, safety and quality assurance standards related to assigned work area at all times. Occasional weekend work required.
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor's degree in the biological sciences preferably related to behavior, pharmacology or psychology. Experienced in the handling and dosing of small animals (preferably mice) in a laboratory setting with stereotaxic surgical experience preferred. Leadership, organizational, multi-tasking, trouble shooting and deductive reasoning skills required, along with willingness and ability to work independently and as part of a team. Occasional weekend work required. Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel
To apply for the position please send your resume to Kim.Cirillo@psychogenics.com
Scientist - Head of Data Science
We are seeking a motivated group leader for our Scientific Informatics group with expertise in bioinformatics, machine learning and with software development experience. We have a great opportunity to lead the development of informatics projects and to design/prototype original ideas and solutions for a leading Contract Research Organization. In this role you will beleading a small Informatics team responsible for custom databases, software and analysis tools that underpin the company’s SmartCube®, PhenoCube® and NeuroCube® drug discovery platforms, and associated technologies. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing a group that includes software developers, computational scientists, and biologists and will collaborate with internal and external scientists. This work will be done in a team environment with constant communication among team members as well as with internal and external clients. The work environment requires effective time management, multi-tasking and delivery of high quality work on multiple projects. Your ability to communicate is one of the key components to your success in this position.
1 Develop and manage the Scientific Informatics group.
- Develop research proposals for customers
- Manage staff, providing clear goals and objectives
- Ensure the timely delivery of projects for internal and external customers
2 Develop proprietary Machine Learning algorithms and Analytical Models for CRO, internal and partnered Drug Discovery programs.
- Design accurate, robust and efficient algorithms for classification of drug effects and phenotyping. Develop new dimensionality reduction and machine learning regression methods, design and implement novel non-linear prediction techniques
3 Direct implementation and deployment of computational tools, supervise integrated database development and maintain existing behavioral capture technologies.
4 Communicate your solutions to the members of the executive team, clients and partners.
- PhD in BioInformatics or related discipline. Solid knowledge of Machine Learning methods and deep understanding of data-mining practices. Proven track record of building robust pattern recognition systems. Strong background in mathematics and probability theory. Excellent knowledge in high-level scientific programming languages (e.g. MATLAB or R) for quick data-mining method prototyping.
- Experience in leading Object-Oriented software development projects. Knowledge of best large-scale industrial software development practices.
- Experience managing a diverse team of software developers, data analysts and biologists.
- Experience with the development of research proposals, and demonstrated success delivering complex informatics projects on a specified timeline.
- Experience in guiding informatics-driven drug discovery effort. Basic familiarity with the underlying sciences (CNS chemistry and biology, neurobiology, basic pharmacology).
- Very strong inter-personal and communication skills.
To apply for the position please send your resume to email@example.com
To apply for these or any other positions, please submit the following information:
Please upload or paste your resume in the detail section.